Let’s get to the point: I am quitting the Peace Corps BUT I am not leaving Togo, at least not yet.
Ok, ok, calm down. Close your mouth.
After much thought and contemplation, yes, I have decided to terminate my service with the Peace Corps. As many of you know, I have been searching for a place where I “fit in” and where I felt “at home”. I believe that place is Togo and I want to try to live here as a private citizen, not as a volunteer.
I believe I will know whether or not I belong here by not representing the United States as a volunteer, but by representing, well, just little ol’ me. How did I get to this decision?
First, I have decided to convert to be a Jehovah’s Witness. Ok, close the mouth again. Continue reading. I have mentioned before my bread vender, Phillipina and how we’ve become friends these past 10 months. I went to her home a few weekends ago and met her family. They are all simply lovely and you wouldn’t believe how big their clay oven is. I could crawl in there and stand up and run around in it; it’s that huge. It has to be, in order to bake all that bread! Anyway, they shared with me the word of Jehovah and finally, it all makes sense. Religion has always been something I have struggled with and at last I have found a religion that has the answers I had been searching for.
Second, I have met someone. Now, it’s just at the “like” stage at this point, but I’d like to see where it goes. This past weekend, he visited me at my home and we sat outside just chatting away. He is so easy to speak with and he tolerates my French. He is kind and sweet and I must say, he looked mighty handsome in his green and black pagne complet. I couldn’t keep my eyes off of him. He is Muslim but he doesn’t believe in having more than one wife.
Third, yes, this place is inhospitable. But I believe I can make it more comfortable now that I am willing to spend my own money in order to do so. I can have a refrigerator, an air conditioner, a hot water heater, an oven, and the other necessities I want. I can also afford to have someone cook for me, which is the most important thing of all.
Again, there are a lot of unknowns. What I do know, however, is that I want to try. I can still do work of some sort and maybe even get paid for it. I hope to work with the very talented artisans here and to establish relationships with retailers in the United States and other countries for exporting their goods.
More to come, but I wanted to share with you all my excitement and joy. I hope you will support me in my latest venture. You usually do, so this is one more. Just think, you’ll all have a place to stay should you decide to travel to West Africa.
Oh, and one last very important thing, (you can open your mouth now): Happy April Fool’s Day!
You crack me up! Hope all is well
ReplyDelete