Friday, November 5, 2010

Blog addiction, PC statistics, and an update on my status

Addiction

I have an addiction - I am reading other Peace Corps Trainees (PCTs) and Volunteers' (PCVs) blogs and I have to quit.  It creates even more nervousness in me as I question myself, "gee, what would I do in that situation?"  So I simply must stop.

Here's the link to all of the blogs, if any of you are curious.  And it's also where I will eventually post my blog once I am formally invited.

Peace Corps Journals


Statistics

General

1.  PC established in March 1961.  In 2011, PC will celebrate it's 50th anniversary.
2.  Over 200,000 volunteers have served.  Currently, 8,655.  60 / 40 female / male ratio.  93% single.  19% are minorities.  Average age: 28.  Over age 50 - 7%.
3.  139 countries served.  Currently, 77.
4.  2009 budget: $340 million.  2010 budget: $400 million.
5.  Only U.S. citizens can serve.  Minimum age is 18.

Out of 100

1.  As of Oct. 2010, over 13,500 applications have been submitted in 2010.
2.  Approximately 42 out of 100 get invited.  The 2010 stat was one in three get invited.  Various reasons why people don't make it past the application, nomination, or invitation.
3.  Approximately 76 out of 100 volunteers who are sworn in complete their service two years later.  (aka "Early Termination - ET" for those that leave.)
4.  So far, 239 deaths.  Leading cause of death: car accidents (i.e. bus, taxi, motorcycle, bicycle, etc.)


Status Update

Have completed 99% of my medical.  Just waiting for the lab results to come back, which "should" be by Tuesday, Nov. 9.  I had nine vials of blood sucked out of two veins (one collapsed under pressure).  Vampires!

Got a polio booster - ouch!  My doctor is great.  Patient, understanding, and has my best interests in mind.  She's fantastic.

Once I get the results back (and hopefully, I pass - hard to study for these tests), I can finalize the paperwork and mail them to the Peace Corps.  Then, it's completely out of my hands.

But everyone agrees, there's some * next to my name because I have been getting the royal treatment and I'm in some FastPass line (think Disneyland).  Thank you PC!  The feeling is mutual!

Will be visiting my best friend in Walnut Creek soon.  Then off to Antarctica with my mom for our lifetime dream excursion.

No comments:

Post a Comment